N&W Class J No. 611
On October 24, 1959, Class J, No. 611 closed Norfolk and Western’s s steam passenger train service with a last excursion to Williamson, West Virginia. The coal-fired passenger locomotive was among the most advanced in design, construction, and performance of any 4-8-4. The 611 was placed in service on May 29, 1950.
Designed by Norfolk & Western engineers and built in the Roanoke shops, the 611 was specially balanced to minimize rail damage at high speeds. She shared duties with the other Js pulling the company’s passenger trains, including the Powhatan Arrow, the Pocahontas, and the Cavalier.