1 pound butter, room temperature
3 cups sugar
6 large eggs, room temperature
4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup fresh key lime juice
1/4 cup evaporated milk, (I always keep a good number of those small, 5 ounce cans in my pantry.)
4 teaspoons key lime zest, minced
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 300°. Cover inside of 10 inch tube pan with non-stick spray. My pan is 10 1/2″ and
it’s just fine. Set aside.
2. Using a stand-up mixer or electric hand-held, beat the butter
well until light in color and fluffy.
Add the sugar and again beat well for at least 5 minutes. I use a stand up mixer and beat the mixture 10-
3. One at a time add the eggs and beat only until the yellow disappears.
4. Stir juice, milk, zest and vanilla together.
5. Now mixing by hand, gradually flour to the butter-egg
mixture alternating with the key lime juice and milk mixture. Begin and end with flour. Mix well but just enough to incorporate all ingredients.
6. Pour evenly into the tube pan and tap pan on the counter to loosen any air bubbles.
7. Bake for 1 hour and 45 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
8. Cool on a cooling rack for 20-25 minutes in the pan then transfer from pan to cooling rack and allow
to cool another hour or until completely cool.
The cake is far better the following day or 2 days later.
Key Lime Cream Cheese Icing
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
3-4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
4 cups confectioner’s sugar
1/4 cup freshly squeezed key lime juice
2-3 teaspoons key lime zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Using a hand mixer beat cream cheese and butter in a large bowl until well mixed.
2. Add confectioner’s sugar and beat well until completely smooth and fluffy.
3. Add key lime juice, zest and vanilla and mix until all ingredients are incorporated.
For the Loaf
1 Stick Unsalted Butter (Equal to half a cup)
1 Cup Sugar
2 Large Eggs
1 Lemon, Juiced and Zested
1 1/2 Cup All-purpose Flour
1 Tsp Baking Powder
1 Tsp Vanilla
1/4 Cup Cream (half and half works well or whole milk - but cream is better for moister loaf and richer taste)
For the Glaze
1 1/3 Cup powdered sugar
1/2 Lemon, Juiced and Zested
1/2 tsp Vanilla
For the Loaf
Preheat Oven to 350 F.
Grease & Flour a medium Loaf Pan.
Cream Butter and Sugar together
In a separate bowl mix eggs and vanilla well, add lemon juice and zest.
Add egg mix into the butter mix, beat slowly.
Add remaining Ingredients and mix well.
Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
Bake for 40 minutes, or until toothpick test is clean.
Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to wire rack.
Cool another 10 minutes before topping with glaze.
For the Glaze
Mix all ingredients in a bowl until well combined and spread over warm loaf.
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
4 large eggs, room temperature
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
In a heavy skillet, on low heat, melt butter until it begins to foam. Stir for about 5 minutes, until it turns golden brown and smells nutty. Transfer to a large heatproof bowl and allow to cool in the fridge until solid, for about 30 minutes.
Once solid, remove from fridge and set aside to bring back to room temperature.
Preheat oven to 350° F and place oven rack in lower middle section of oven.
Butter a nonstick 9x5-inch loaf pan and dust with powdered sugar.
Beat browned butter until it becomes creamy, then add sugar and vanilla.
Continue beating for 3-5 minutes until well combined and creamed. Beat in eggs, one at a time, making sure each is thoroughly combined before adding the next.
In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder, then slowly beat flour mixture into creamed butter mixture until well combined.
Transfer batter to loaf pan and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, loosely cover with foil, then continue baking for 20-25 minutes. Allow cake to cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes, then transfer, upside down, to a serving platter.