Southern Railway Ps-4 Pacific Number 1334
One of the locomotives that pulled FDR's funeral train in 1945.
In 1923, the Southern Railway began placing an order for new locomotives of the 4-6-2 Pacific design capable of handling up to fourteen cars over a moderate grade, as well as top speeds of 80 miles per hour. The first group of engines were built by the American Locomotive Company at their Schenectady Works in that year, with twenty six delivered to the Southern, numbered 1363-1392; as well as five for the Cincinnati, New Orleans and Texas Pacific, numbered 6471-6475; and four for the Alabama Great Southern, numbered 6684-6687. These engines were derived from the standard USRA Light Pacific design, but had notable differences based on the Southern's needs. The Ps-4s had smaller driving wheels (73 inches vs. 79 inch USRA design), as well as larger, more spacious cabs, and featured single unit 3-B Worthington feedwater heaters under the left-hand running boards.