The Brown Cemetery (Powell, Tennessee)
Thomas Brown purchased a 100 acre farm on the Tennessee frontier November 29, 1789, for his son Maxwell Brown. Maxwell married Isbellla Gaston in 1818 and they cleared and farmed the ground until his passing in 1863. Isbella and Maxwell founded the Brown Academy in 1825, one of the early schools in eastern Tennessee.The school was located just south of this cemetery, and was burned to the ground by Confederate sympathizers during the Civil War. Maxwell Brown was one of the founders of the Beaver Creek Cumberland Presbyterian Church and his son, Reverend John Maxwell Brown served as its pastor for many years.This cemetery was re-dedicated in 2015 by Arvin Brown and Hank Brown.